Monday, December 1, 2014

If only it had been as simple as electing a black guy!


As a white canadian woman, I know that what I can say about black people in the United States is pretty limited but there's some stuff  about Ferguson that's so absurd I can see it from my front porch in Moncton!

Take for example the second amendment. In the hands of NRA-approved white people, it means that no law should ever, EVER prohibit an american citizen from bringing a gun to the mall and yet the Michael Brown case made it clear: it is okay to shoot a black teenager if you think that he may be armed...maybe.

I don't think the poverty of american black ghettos compares to the poverty I grew up with in northern New-Brunswick but from my experience and from what people who lived those ghettoes told me, to have the cops on your back over a joint, a parking ticket or a box of cigars while the rich, promising kid can drink and drive or rape undermines the rule of law much more than it enforces it because young people can then turn to street gangs to protect them...from the police itself.

Also, this raises the issue of the increasing militarization of police forces. The infamous Sanford Prison Experiment (the one Cerberus and the cop talk about) proved that to see humans commit attrocities, you just have to take a few people and label them "guards", or "cops", or "soldiers" and let them alone for six days with another crowd of people labeled "inmates", or "civilians", or "teenagers"...