Monday, January 19, 2015

"Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver!"


You know that song lyrics have really sunk into a nation's identity when you know the sentence, but don't know the author. I needed google to make sure that it was Gilles Vigneault and not Felix Leclerc who sung "Mon pays ce n'est pas un pays c'est l'hiver" ("My country is not a country, it's winter") but darn, does it ever sum up my idea of Canada!

My idea of canadian citizenship, for example, is pretty simple: no matter if you are from El Salvador, Somalia, Algeria or anywhere else before you landed here, if you shovel snow in the winter, you're part of the tribe. I've known many immigrants and no matter where they are from (especially if they are from muslim countries) there is always a stupid Jack telling them "You're not as canadian as me!" or a stupid Jacques telling them "T'est pas pure laine, comme moi!".

And half the time, those idiots go spend the winter somewhere south because they're not "canadian" enough to stand a little snow!