Monday, February 10, 2014

Sochi and the Cold, cold war.


I love the ads that Tim Hortons and Coca Cola made for this, but capitalist giants shouldn't do all the cheering. My birthday is not until july, but if you wish me anything for this month, wish me a Canada vs. Russia hockey final! 

In 2002, the team who made the rink at the Salt Lake City games hid a "toonie" (two dollar-coin) under the ice as a lucky charm for the canadian hockey team and it won gold in men's hockey for the first time in 50 years. It triggered a culture of olympic lucky charms so to beat Russia, Sooky hides his lucky toonie under his favourite fast food, namesake of Russia's current shirtless, LGBT-hating, autoritarian Stalin wanabee. There was the series everyone remembers, in 1972, between Canada and the USSR (Canada won!) but even though we gotta get our solitudes and general s#it together before taking on someone like Russia and I know very well that the cold war has been over for decades, I think Canada is bound to have some kind of rivalry either on ice or economically with Russia. We're just too similar! There can only one most badass northern nation out there and the the two countries are already at it for control of the Arctic.




Russia, Canada, US, Norway and Denmark are at it. Call it the Cold, cold war.


Frisettes de Courval, our little french poodle, usually cheers for "Les Bleus" (France's soccer team) but since France is about as good at hockey as Canada is good at soccer, she now has hockey "Rouges" to complete her soccer "Bleus". Buzz has a catnip leaf on his flag. Hey, some humans have a pot leaf! I just noticed, though. I drew Mimi without her prescious, unseparable purse! Come to think about it, did I get Sidney Crosby's nuimber right? I know for sure that the two solitudes of Hockey, the legendary english-canadian Toronto Maple Leafs and legendary french-canadian Montreal Canadiens have not won the Stanley Cup since 1967 and 1993 respectively. For more info on what those two teams came to mean for the two cultures, I suggest one of the cutest things ever animated about hockey...